Avik Roy &in National Review present 12 reasons Virginia, or any state (like Colorado), should not expand :
- Virginia’s Medicaid spending will explode
- Medicaid harms the poor.
- Medicaid’s access problems will get worse as more doctors drop out.
- Claims about job creation are exaggerated.
- Claims about coverage expansion are exaggerated.
- Medicaid raises premiums for those with private insurance.
- Medicaid’s undercompensated care is a bigger problem than providing uncompensated care for the uninsured.
- Expanding Medicaid will expose [states] to immense amounts of fraud and waste.
- [States] will be exposed to higher Medicaid costs when Washington recalculates its matching payments.
- By rejecting the Medicaid expansion, Virginia encourages other states to do the same, reducing waste of taxpayer dollars.
- Medicaid will worsen the cycle of dependence and harm the economy.
- Exchanges will provide better health outcomes, far less fraud, and fiscal certainty.
Read details on each: Twelve Reasons to Say No – National Review Online.
For more on Medicaid expansion, see posts on Colorado Medicaid.
- Colorado Medicaid Expansion: Seven reasons Colorado should say “no”
- Entitlement Bandits Rob Medicaid/Medicare
- Colorado Medicaid errors far exceed commercial insurers’
- Why Colorado has a Huge Fiscal Incentive to Opt Out of Obamacare’s Medicaid Expansion – Forbes